Re: Layering on the Semantic Web

From: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 18:28:04 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
In an off-line email message, Jim wrote:

> I'm curious about losing RDF-schema compatibility, of all of them, that seems
> like the simplest to preserve (esp. as we can still influence
> rdf-schema if minor changes to it fix this)

Two reasons for only partial compatability:
- syntactic: we're not sure if we can organise the XML syntax to "include" a/some/all of the RDF Schema serialisations.
- semantic: as you know, the RDF Schema model contains some oddities (classes as members of classes, etc). We might want to make the OWL meta-model simpler.

Frank.
   ----