RE: UPDATE: why RDF syntax is not suitable for OWL

From: Smith, Michael K <michael.smith@eds.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:42:48 -0600
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

> I don't think the real issue has anything much
> to do with triples; and since so many people like triples, then why
> not let 'em use 'em, I would suggest.

> Pat Hayes

I think it is a mistake to think 'so many people like triples'.  Maybe
within the RDF community.  But I presume one of our goals is to create a
standard that is adopted by a much wider community.  I would assert that the
wider community is  using XML syntax.  They are writing and using tools that
process XML.

I will ask this question again: Where does the RDF standard say that its
syntax is defined by triples?  Where is the formal triple syntax for RDF?
All I have seen is an XML syntax.  What documents have I not read?

It would be perfectly reasonable to define a translation from XML to triples
in support of existing tools.  Or for those people who like to read assembly
code.

- Mike

Michael K. Smith
EDS Austin Innovation Lab