Re: ISSUE 5.14 Closing Text

From: Mike Dean <mdean@bbn.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:56:17 -0800
To: Jeff Heflin <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>
cc: WebOnt <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

Jeff,

Thanks for your note.

> As for versionInfo, I don't really see why it needs to be in the OWL
> namespace now. I think the new properties handle everything that's
> relevant for sharing the ontology. If you only use it for internal
> configuration management and debugging then it could either be contained
> in a comment or a you could create a similar property in your own
> schema. Of course, this item never got discussed in the e-mail, so if
> other believe there is a strong reason to keep it, I'd be willing to
> withdraw it from the closing text.

I think there's a strong reason to keep it.  In several
applications, e.g. [1], I explicitly display
daml:versionInfo as a cheap form of provenance (rdfs:comment
isn't specific enough, and using my own property isn't
general enough).  I also use it heavily for "instance data",
with both static and dynamic content.

	Mike

[1] http://www.daml.org/2001/07/signup/teams.html#colophon