RE: Dark triples motivation

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:31:57 -0500
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org
>DanC:
>>  > I think I explained this in a telcon, but I don't think
>>  > it got recorded very well, so I'll reiterate:
>>  >
>>  > The best way for group X to make a request to group Y
>>  > is for X to state its requirements *and* propose a solution,
>>  > as an existence proof that the requirements can be met.
>>

>I guess I have this problem to.
>I can see that WOWG has stated a requirement for unasserted triples, and
>that a range of solutions has been proposed.
>
>However, the real problem is something else.
>
>It is this semantic layering problem, and dark triples is the solution.
>
>I am beginning to understand the problem. I have yet to understand the
>solution.
>
>In terms of WOWG and RDFCore the problem is:
>  "It is difficult to layer a language on top of RDF because the syntactic
>and semantic layering get confused"
>
>or something like that; with DAML+OIL as an example.

Right. And what dark triples allow you to do is to make the syntactic
layering invisible to the semantic layering, thereby removing the
confusion. Simple enough?

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes