RE: What shall we call the web ontology language??

At 8:52 PM -0800 11/24/01, Stefan Decker wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Dieter Fensel has suggested to use WOL
>as an acronym for "Web Ontology Language" - which
>I think captures more what we want to do and is in
>sync with working emerging groups and topic like "Web Services"
>and also connects to the existing Web.
>
>Any name that includes "XML" in it's name leads into the wrong
>direction - XML-based is not a primarily feature of the intended
>Ontology Language (comes for free though).
>
>All the best,
>
>         Stefan

I agree with Stefan that anything starting with X for XML is
problematic in one way, but also that satrting with R for RDF could
be considered problematic in other ways  WOL is pretty
straightforward and works (and has 3 letters, so it would work as a
mime type). If we went for the 4 letter we could do WOML or WODL for
Web Ontology Markup Language or Web Ontology Description Languages -
which I don't love, but maybe someone can think of someting
interesting starting with those?
  -JH
AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742