Re: What shall we call the web ontology language??

Stefan Decker wrote:

> Any name that includes "XML" in it's name leads into the wrong
> direction - XML-based is not a primarily feature of the intended
> Ontology Language (comes for free though).

I agree, of course (we even published jointly on this [1]),
but I was talking about political expediency, not about technical accuracy (which are rarely the same :-).

Frank.
   ----

PS: At the risk of apparent self-advertisement, the following might be useful for members wanting to familiarise themselves with the design of the "Semantic Web stack of languages" (XML, RDF, DAML+OIL, etc).

It's a fairly light read.

[1] The Semantic Web: The Roles of XML and RDF
IEEE Internet Computing,  October 2000, vol. 15, nr. 3, pgs. 63--74
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~frankh/abstracts/IEEE-IC00.html