Re: How to capture modeling information in WOL

On December 27, Dieter Fensel writes:
> "The differences in RDF and WOL entailment is a brilliant feature"
>
> I recall many discussions on how to deal with modeling information in
> a logical framework. Lets take a simple example. A statement like
>
> 	(1) a & b
>
> should be treaded completely equal to a statement
>
> 	(2) b & a
>
> at a logical level. However, at a modeling level you may want to know
> whether a person wrote (1) or (2) because it may reflect the fact that
> b is more "important" to him.

On the web we often wont know who (or what) said what, or in what
order. Machine processing may mangle syntax. Users may have widely
divergent backgrounds and cultures. All these considerations (and
probably others) suggest that it would be dangerous to make
assumptions based purely on one interpretation of the meaning of a
given ordering.

> A more real-life example is whether a
> person define
>
> 	- a relation "r" as an attribute of a class "c" or
> 	- as a global property "r" with "c" as its domain.
>
> Logically they are the same but from a modeling point of view
> they are quite different.

It is rather a sweeping statement to say that "Logically they are the
same". It depends on what you take each of them to mean, which is
difficult to say without a precise specification. In particular, if we
consider the two axioms:

Forall x,y . r(x,y) -> c(x)                                       (1)
Forall x . c(x) -> (Exists y . r(x,y))                            (2)

stating that "r" is a global property with "c" as its domain would
probably be taken to be equivalent to (1) - I believe this is the line
taken by both RDF and DAML+OIL - while stating that "r" as an
attribute of a class "c" might be taken to be equivalent to both (1)
and (2), or possibly to (2) only.

These sorts of problem illustrates just why we need a precisely
defined semantics for our languages. If we allow for two possible
interpretations we may get into all sorts of difficulties:

- it may be impossible to say something in DAML+OIL without stating
  something unintended in RDF (and vice versa)

- it may be impossible to know which of two (possibly conflicting)
  meanings is the intended one

Ian