Re: draft-reschke-webdav-search-05 - a few questions on the draft

From: Elias Sinderson <elias@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:09:46 -0700
To: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Wallmer, Martin wrote:

> of course multiple scopes give additional possibilites. But we should
> keep DASL lightweight. Do you have a usecase for multiple scopes?
There are the obvious use cases in querying different parts of the
srever namespace that could be handled (albeit less efficiently) with
multiple SEARCH requests, each having a different scope. It would be
left to the client, of course, to order these seperate responses if
needed. The other things I thought of would require an much more
extended grammar than basicsearch is right now. As is, DASL basicsearch
is lightweight, useful and extensible - properties that are difficult to
balance in protocol design. In light of this, I tend to agree with
Martin that the current mechanisms are best left as is without both
compelling usecases and clear specification/implementation paths for any
proposed changes.