Re: Call for Participation: new internet draft for WebDAV SEARCH method

From: Ilya Kirnos <ilya.kirnos@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:09:06 -0800
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
julian --

> - get together people who have implemented or are planning to implement the
> WebDAV SEARCH method in clients and servers

i'd like to implement SEARCH, in one form or another.

> - identify currently open issues and resolve them
>
> In particular I'd like to see discussion around the following topics:
>
> Q1) Should the draft attempt to define Query Schema Discovery for
> DAV:basicsearch? Has anybody actually *implemented* QSD?

we probably could implement QSD, but i'm not sure it's worth the trouble.  from
a purely practical standpoint, most of the clients i've ever seen have a
predefined set of attributes they care about, and they will ask about/present to
user just those.  i'm basing this on my experiences with PROPFIND, but i believe
something similar would happen with SEARCH, even if QSD were available.

> Q2) Is there any real interest of defining a generic SEARCH framework that
> can exist independantly of WebDAV? If not, it could make sense just to
> define a REPORT based on property searching, and the complexity of the draft
> could be greatly reduced.

i'm not sure what you mean by "independent of webdav", but i would be interested
in more than just property queries, nice as they are.  i.e., i'd like to be able
to search document content as well.

thanks.

-ilya