RE: Call for Participation: new internet draft for WebDAV SEARCH method

At 11:53 AM 1/25/2002 -0800, Jim Whitehead wrote:
> > Q1) Should the draft attempt to define Query Schema Discovery for
> > DAV:basicsearch? Has anybody actually *implemented* QSD?
>
>... I'm not sure what a client woudl do with the
>information.

As I recall, the belief of the original authors (or at least my belief) was
that some server vendors were very likely to implement extensions
(properties or operators)  and that these extensions,  although
proprietary, might still be widely enough known that client writers might
support them.
QSD allows a client to discover whether a well known extension X is or is
not implemented on a specific server.

Smart clients might attempt to bridge the differences between different
servers.

In some cases, it might make sense for client programs to show users the
existence of discovered properties or operators, *even if the client does
not understand them*.  if the properties or operators have reasonable names
the human can guess the semantics.

Thus a client that discovers that a DASL server has properties "latitude"
and "longitude" can show these in a query form, and let the user enter values.

This might even make sense for operators, if they have sensible names.  QSD
provides enough information for a smart client application to construct a
generic query dialog (ie it tells how many arguments the operator takes).

I must admit that I do not know of any implementation of QSD, nor do I know
of anyone who intends to write such a smart client.  My ignorance does not
mean it does not exist though.