RE: comment on issues in DASL draft: query on href

At 09:54 AM 5/28/02 +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > ...While it is true
> > that  RFC 2518 does not define an href property, DASL is not
> > restricted to
> > searching only those properties defined by RFC 2518.   In theory, any
> > property could be searched.  So if a DASL search arbiter wants to support
> > search on a property whose name is DAV:href, there is no obstacle.
> > ..
>
>Yes, there is. DASL should't get into the business of defining new pseudo
>properties. If something needs to be queryable, but isn't a WebDAV property,
>then
>
>- either make it a full-blown WebDAV property, or
>- don't use a property to express the query condition.

I'm sorry, when I wrote "properties defined by RFC 2518" I meant "one of
the eight DAV properties" (which are listed in section 13 of RFC 2518).

Note that a server could support DASL for search without supporting WebDAV,
including PROPFIND and PROPATCH, that is, with no support whatsoever for
anyone reading or setting any WedDAV properties.  The properties might be
added by the arbiter in the course of its indexing or operations (e.g.
ratings)

>Another issue with DAV:href being a property is that depending on the
>server, the href may be a full absolute URI (including protocol, host,
>port...), a relative URI reference starting with "/" or even a relative URI
>reference (not starting with "/" and relative to the parent collection). So
>we would have to define what this property really is, and it couldn't be the
>same thing as the DAV.href *element* for all servers.

But this is likewise true of many properties, no?