RE: Like and Case Sensitivity

From: Kevin Wiggen <wiggs@xythos.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 09:36:59 -0800
To: Jim Davis <jrd3@alum.mit.edu>, www-webdav-dasl@w3.org

<case sensitive attribute on like> it's missing.  It's probably an
oversight.  There is no reason not to allow it.

Note that the default for all other casesensitive attributes is 1.

1) should the default for like be the same as the usual default?

<KW> I see no reason why the default should be different.  It should be the
same for consistency if for nothing else
</KW>

2) should we change the usual default from 1 to 0?  (that is, comparisons
are case insensitive unless explicitly stated otherwise?)

<KW> Most systems I know of have an easier time doing case sensitive
searches (or its less CPU cycles at least), I think we should leave the
default where it is.  This way the default is less CPU intensive.  Its easy
to override so it should not be a big deal
</KW>

Kevin