Re: "Where" condition too general vis a vis "contains"

From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:46:23 PDT
To: "Babich, Alan" <ABabich@filenet.com>, "'DASL'" <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>
At 03:57 PM 7/12/98 PDT, Babich, Alan wrote:
>However, instead of even that much generality, I would
>propose the following for simplesearch: If the "contains"
>operator is used, it is the entire "where" condition.

I strongly disagree with this proposal. First of all, while I concede that
some current servers may benefit from this, this limitation would apply
even to those servers that are not split in the manner Alan describes, and
so it penalizes the strong implementations for the sake of the weak.
Second, even for servers that do maintain the split, it is not hard for
them to parse the query and route the parts to the RDBDS and full text
engines.