Re: use of boolean literals

Just let me make sure we are making the same distinction.  DAV defines
properties to be name/value pairs.  When I say a property does not exist on
a given resource, I mean neither that property name nor a value is present.
 For the property to exist, the name has to be present, but its value could
be empty or set to NULL.

I wanted to claim that in the DAV world, it's possible for different
resources on the same server to have completely different sets of
properties, so that it would make sense for someone to ask whether the
"author" property exists on a given resource -- meaning, whether a property
with that name exists for the resource, regardless of whether its value is
empty or NULL or "Henderson".

Is this something a text search engine would have a problem with?

At 05:16 PM 4/22/98 PDT, Rick Henderson wrote:
>If the storage meachanism behind the DAV server is a text search engine
>rather than a RDBMS it may not be so easy to determine the difference
>between a property with a null value and a property that has never been
>set.  It's problematic from an implementation standpoint.
>
>--Rick
>Rick Henderson            (Netscape)(650)937-3152
>rickh@netscape.com

Name:			Judith A. Slein
E-Mail:		slein@wrc.xerox.com
Internal Phone:  	8*222-5169