Re: Default target of <send>

From: David Junger <tffy@free.fr>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:52:56 +0100
To: "VBWG Public (www-voice@w3.org)" <www-voice@w3.org>
Le 12 feb 2013 à 02:34, Jim Barnett a écrit :

> What should the default target be for other types?  If we push the default down into the individual I/O processors, we will need to give a clear specification of the default for each (though one default could be that a certain I/O processor raises an error if 'target' isn't specified.)

Defining the default target for "DOM" properly would require that we first define some of the API so we have a clear and possibly mandatory (if it implements the DOM IOproc) "DOM anchor" property for the SCXML interpreter (even if that anchor's default position in the DOM is implementation-specific).
It's not complicated per se, except that we don't have a section about API in the spec.
Having used DOM events a lot, I can say it's very pratical to have a default target. Specifying a target has its uses, but sometimes you just want to pass a message to some JavaScript. I got similar feedback from other SCXML users.
To be honest, if the default DOM target doesn't make it in SCXML 1.0, I would remove it from my implementation just for the moment it takes to pass the conformance test.

I can't think of a useful default and consistent URL for basichttp. I'd say raise an error.
A useful default could be the origin of the last received basichttp event, but that's too brittle.

			David