Re: Comments about SSML from ITS WG

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:09:50 +0200
To: Dan Burnett <dburnett@voxeo.com>
CC: www-voice@w3.org, public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org
Dan Burnett wrote:

Hi Dan, thank you for your response. Please find bellow one addtional
question.

>> SSML should allow foreign attributes on any SSML element. Ideally such
>> possibility will not be mentioned only in prose of spec, but also XML
>> schema will specify this using xs:anyAttribute (and similarly by
>> xs:any for elements).
>
> DB>> Resolution:  Accepted with modifications
> DB>> Explanation:  We agree that non-SSML attributes should be permitted
> in the same way that non
> DB>> SSML elements are permitted, and in fact the other subsections of
> 2.2 describe this in detail.  We
> DB>> will extend the text in 2.2.3 to indicate that attributes are also
> allowed.  However, your request to
> DB>> allow ITS attributes does not, in our opinion, introduce any more
> need to generalize the Schema
> DB>> than was already present in SSML 1.0 (and hence 1.1).  We believe
> that converting the Schema
> DB>> to use xs:anyAttribute and xs:any would trivialize the Schema.  We
> do not plan to change the
> DB>> Schema.

But if my understanding of SSML spec is correct, without change to
schema SSML documents with foreign elements/attributes will be always
non-conforming, becuse in sections 2.2.2.1 and 2.2.2.2 validity against
schema is one of conformance criterias. And if schema doesn't permit
foreign elements/attributes, then such document will be invalid, and
thus non-conforming. However, I'm not sure if this is true intent of
specification.

Maybe, if you do not want to change schema, you can say that foreign
elements/attributes are stripped from conforming SSML document before
validation.

				Jirka