[pls] clarification on assertion 50 (was Re: [pls] minor updates on the implementation report plan)

Dear www-voice,

We the W3C Voice Browser Working Group had got implementation reports
from Loquendo [1] and France Telecom [2] for the Pronunciation Lexicon
Specification (PLS) Version 1.0 Candidate Recommendation (CR) [3].

While analyzing those implementation reports, the group found that
there was ambiguity within both the PLS CR [3] and the Implementation
Report Plan (IRP) [4].  So we have decided to add clarification to
both the specification and the IRP.

Please see below for the minor modifications caused by the
clarification on the IRP [4].

1. The abstract of the Assertion 50 is modified to better handle
   "xml:base" attribute.

2. The content of the test file for Assertion 63 is modified on the
   test result to address the assertion properly.

3. The pls-ir-20080711.zip archive is also regenerated to include
   above modified files.

And please refer the updated version of the IRP at:
http://www.w3.org/Voice/2007/pls-irp/
(same location as the previous one)

The group very much welcome implementation reports based on your
experiences with the PLS specification.  Please send your reports to
<www-voice@w3.org> in the format described in the IRP [4].

------------------------------
Note on above modification #1
------------------------------
Both the section 4.1 of the PLS CR [5] and the assertion #50 of the
IRP [4] say:
[[
The OPTIONAL xml:base attribute establishes a base URI for the PLS
document as defined in XML Base [XML-BASE].
]]

However, the specified base URI is never used within current PLS 1.0
though some smart processor might use that information with "content"
attribute of optional <meta> element.  So it's difficult to test a PLS
processor truly establishes a base or actually does something with the
resultant URI.

Therefore we thought it should be covered by XML specifications, e.g.,
XML Base [6], and have decided to add clarification to the spec and
the IRP like:
[[
PLS documents MAY include the "xml:base" attribute as defined in [XML
Base].
]]

The group will add the clarification to the spec as well when it is
published as the Proposed Recommendation.

[1] Loquendo's report:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2008AprJun/0006.html
[2] France Telecom's report:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2008AprJun/0010.html
[3] PLS CR: http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-pronunciation-lexicon-20071212/
[4] PLS IRP: http://www.w3.org/Voice/2007/pls-irp/
[5] PLS CR section 4.1:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-pronunciation-lexicon-20071212/#S4.1
[6] XML-BASE: http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlbase-20010627/

Sincerely,

Kazuyuki

--
Kazuyuki Ashimura / W3C Multimodal & Voice Activity Lead
mailto: ashimura@w3.org