Re: SCXML: LCA bug ?

Jim,

Sorry, I believe that I presented (what I see as) the problem in the
wrong fashion - I wasn't clear enough. I do of course agree with what
you are saying about the formal language theoretical stuff. The problem
is that I suspect that a definition of LCA where (given the example)
LCA(s11,s11)=s11 is not what you *want*. I think you *want* an LCA
definition such that LCA(s11,s11)=s1. Consider an expanded version of
our example:

   <state id="s1">
      <initial>
         <transition target="s11"/>
      </initial>
      <state id="s11">
         <transition event="e1" target="s12"/>
      </state>
      <state id="s12">
         <transition event="e2" target="s12"/>
      </state>
   </state >

The LCA is something that we need to compute when moving from one state
to another, or from on state to itself. The problem is that with the
current definition/algorithm, when moving from s11 to s12 the LCA = s1,
but when moving from s12 to s12 it is s12. Why should they be different
in those two cases? According to my intuitions they should not! What I
am saying here is that I think the LCA should be s1 also when moving
from s12 to s12.

Let me also say that I found this problem the hard way - struggling with
an SCXML example that just didn't do the right thing. When I changed the
algorithm the problem disappeared. Of course, it may be possible to keep
the current definition of LCA and change the interpretation algorithm in
other places. But why do that, when the proposed change is in fact more
intuitive?

Regards,
Torbjörn