Re: Notes on the say-as note

From: Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:20:32 +0100
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com>
Cc: "Eira Monstad" <eiram@opera.com>, www-voice@w3.org

Eira wrote:

>> And one last question: Have you considered the need for other
>> categories, such as fractions?

Yes, we did consider the need for other categories. But we had to draw
the line, considering this was just a note concerning common types for
disambiguation. And so we left out fractions, but also general
mathematics (f(x) to "f of x"), currencies ("10 pounds and 3 pennies"),
biblical references (Matt 14:13-21), etc.

"Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com> writes:

> In particular I am curious about why there is no date/time. For a
> specification that apparently aims to note the inherent semantics in the
> kind of semi-structured text that people actually speak or write, it seems
> like an obivous thing to be able to identify, yet is unsupported.
> Date-time therefore relies entirely on guessing by proximity or context,
> when many commen ways of specifying it are relatively straightforward
> allowing for a bit of "verbal putty" in between the two.

I find it hard to come up with a convincing example.

"Don't forget to watch Survival on TV2 23/10 3pm" ?

one would write the "on" and "at" wouldn't they?

Max.
(not for the WG)