RE: Notes on the say-as note

From: David Ezell <David_E3@VERIFONE.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:08:38 -0400
To: <www-voice@w3.org>

Dave Pawson wrote:
>Eira Monstad wrote:
>>    Well, the whole idea is that by marking up the text, you
>>    won't have to
>>    guess what it means...
>
>Only if the markup is reliable. What format would you expect an
>author in Taiwan to use? The Norwegian form? An East coast states
>format etc etc. Reliable markup uses standards, not edge cases.

So forgive me if my point seems naive, but can't this treated as
a classic model/view problem (as in MVC)?  The model should be
international (i.e. consistent) whereas the view (please excuse
the implicit chauvinism of the term, "presentation" would be better)
knows the locale where the text will be spoken and will make allowance
for that.

OTOH if the intention of spoken-as is that it is only valid for a
given locale, then my observation is of no benefit.

Best regards,
David Ezell
XML Schema WG