Re: Notes on the say-as note

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:58:53 +0200, Eira Monstad <eiram@opera.com> wrote:

> Remember that TTS systems always have language-specific rules for
> interpreting and speaking the text. An English-speaking TTS system might
> not make sense of 24 as a time, but a Norwegian-speaking one should
> absolutely be expected to. Then it would help if the defined say-as
> formats did not make the relevant markup invalid. IMHO, the current
> solution to this and a few other problems noted in my original message
> are too English-centric.

I realize I've missed an important point in the note, so what I wrote
above is not entirely correct. The part I missed was:

"Note that some of the interpret-as value definitions include lexical
token definitions to assist in explaining values of the format and detail
attributes. There is no requirement that content adhere to these lexical
representations. However, a processor that supports a particular
interpret-as value should properly interpret content matching the lexical
patterns given."

In other words, using the time 24 will not be invalid as I mistakenly
stated in my previous message.

--
Eira Monstad
Core QA