Re: FW: VoiceXML 2.1 and PI issue

CC'ing www-voice@w3.org

Dave Raggett wrote:

>Hi Brad,
>
>I remain nervous about the effectiveness of the model you describe,
>since as far as I can tell, the document author could put whatever
>IP addresses he wants to access into the PI, and the browser would
>happily oblige.

The provider of the XML data can put whatever IP or domain he wishes
into the PI.  The author of the VoiceXML document requesting that XML
data can not put whatever IP address he wants when serving his content,
nor can the author of the VoiceXML document state which XML data he has
access to.

>I would be much happier with a simple sandbagging
>policy enforced by the browser that the author can't screw up. In
>other words, relying on the browser to limit the <data/> element to
>the same server or domain that the document was downloaded from.

The VoiceXML 2.1 specification allows platform vendors to use this
security model instead if they prefer in the event that a PI is not
included.  The security model you propose is quite appropriate for that
case, but does not allow a provider of particular XML data (say weather,
movie, or package tracking information) to make it available to another
VoiceXML site and therefore it does not afford some of the flexibility
that is required.

>If
>a more flexible policy is needed it could be arranged with the sys
>admins responsible for the VoiceXML interpreter.

Our model of VoiceXML browser is the same as the web model for HTML.
The browser may be distributed and you may wish to make your VoiceXML
content available to multiple browsers (for instance, an extreme example
is that at some point you may have you own personal VoiceXML browser of
choice running on your cell phone fetching voice content over the data
channel).  Coordinated configuration between the web server and the web
browser is something we want to architecturally avoid.  This property of
HTML has greatly increased its adoption.

>In this view there
>is no need for a PI or equivalent means for authors to set their own
>policy, as the security policy should be handled out of band, just
>like who can update what areas of a website on an HTTP server.
>Perhaps I am misunderstanding something?

Transparency of security policy is a good principle and as described
above it is perfectly reasonable if the PI is not included to use domain
checks.  The PI allows XML data providers the ability to specify "access
rights" to their content.  We find this policy greatly expands the
willingness and ease of sharing data between XML data providers.

>I am interested to see what comments Dan Connolly may have on this,
>and am very happy to take part in a phone call once we have answered
>some of the open questions on this issue.

Yes, I am very interested also!

Brad