Re: [css3-speech] Comments: 'voice-volume'

First, please accept my apologies for the delay my responding to
your comments.

In general, the CSS3 speech module is tied to the definition of the
W3C Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML), which is currently a
Proposed Recommendation, and this applies to the voice-volume
property amongst others. I have therefore added the www-voice list
to the thread, and maybe the creators of SSML can respond to the
detailed points you raise.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, csant wrote:

> * 'voice-volume'
> <numbers> are defined as a volume scale ranging from 0 to 100, and
> keywords are defined as a 6-point scale to cover the same range,
> but "the mapping of these to numerical volume levels is
> implementation dependent".
>
> My take would rather be to match the 6-point scale to the numeric
> scale - mapping these values to the exact amplitude will be
> implementation dependent. In the most flexible case I might think
> of defining a keyword as covering a range of numeric values (say,
> e.g., 'medium' as suggested to be matched somewhere in the range
> between 50 and 70). I am sure there is a rationale behind defining
> two scales to cover the same range and leaving the mapping
> completely open.
>
> I imagine one of the problems rising by definig a mapping between
> keywords and numbers in the spec might be that a user could
> perceive, once he tuned the volume of his speakers to be at a
> comfortable level when the 'medium' value occurs, he might have
> problems with an 'x-loud' being too much, or, vice-versa, once
> setting his speakers to suit his perception of 'x-loud', 'medium'
> might be too soft.
>
> My take would be to define the numeric value 0 of mapping to
> 'silent' and 100 mapping to 'x-loud'. To allow user definig the
> excursion between 'medium' and 'x-loud', I would suggest
> introducing something like an @rule: '@volume' defining the
> matching point between 'medium' and a <number>. If not explicitly
> defined it defaults to '@volume 60'. This means that the user
> agent matches the remaining keywords to the respective numbers:
> x-soft = 20
> soft = 40
> loud = 80
>
> Defining '@volume' to a different value, and thus matching
> 'medium' to something different than 60, would make the UA
> re-calculate the mapping of the remaining keywords. This would
> allow the user to reduce the excursion between 'medium' and
> 'x-loud' in a user stylesheet without loosing all aural styling. A
> sensible use of '@volume' would be to set its value to something
> higher than 60, but it could be (ab)used for special effects if
> set to a lower value.
>
> Regards,
> /c

- --