Re: link metadata cannot override server media type

From: Brad Porter <brad@tellme.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:21:34 -0800
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-voice@w3.org, skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com, timbl@w3.org, connolly@w3.org, Scott McGlashan <scott.mcglashan@pipebeach.com>

By the way, just to be clear, I personally completely agree with the
architectural impurity of having local type information take precedence.
Though I also completely agree with fact that unregistered mime types exist and
web server configurations are not always correct.  Which is why I'm very keen
to have a definitive statement and a practical plan to make the choice stick,
as when it comes to a choice of being conformant or working with a wider range
of content providers, business motivations can prevail.

(comments and links embedded below)

Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Friday, February 7, 2003, 8:59:40 PM, Brad wrote:
> BP> Dan,
> BP> Hopefully you didn't intend your comments to sound as inflamatory
> BP> as they might be interpreted.
> I am sure Dn did not intend to be inflamatory, any more than the
> initial response intended to be dismissive.
> BP> HTML and SMIL are in clear conflict on their use of the type attribute.
> Further, SMIL is in conflict with itself on the type attribute,
> depending on what element it is used and what the transport protocol
> is.
> SVG also uses a type attribute, as an informative hint and as a way to
> allow client-side selection from available media.
> BP>  Other specifications do not make a clear statement either way.
> They do, in fact.

In SMIL, local value takes precedence.  In HTML 4.01, type is a hint.  In XHTML
2.0 type is a definition of the allowable mime types for that resource

I find the statement of precedence ambiguous here as even though the type is
"advisory" it doesn't specify the precedence.

> BP> I have not seen a clear statement from the TAG yet.
> No, but you will and I hope you will take part in the preceeding
> discussion.
> Dans statement was a first heads up, as a matter of courtesy, that the
> TAG has an open issue on this subject.
> BP> I have seen
> BP> substantial email threads debating this issue in different working
> BP> groups without clear consensus.
> I would appreciate pointers to such, particularly those that
> considered retyping was desirable.

Here are some threads with relevant discussion that I found quickly.  There may
be more: