RE: Would like information about voice enabled web sites

Philip,

There are also links to a variety of browsers, including voice browsers
designed specifically for people with visual impairments, at
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/Browsing>.

EMacSpeak, HomePage Reader, and PWWebSpeak may be the kind of products you
are looking for. But one of the most important things you can do on your
end, if you are building a Web site that you want to make sure works well
for people with visual disabilities, is to follow the "Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines." That way, regardless of whether the people using
your site are using a voice browser, a text browser, a GUI browser plus
screen reader, a screen magnifier, voice recognition, or any one of a
number of other means of accessing the Web, the site will still work for
them.

You can find the accessibility guidelines at <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG>.
You may find the "Checklist" the easiest place to start, if you are
designing a site. By the way, these guidelines are good to use when you
design your other sites as well, since people with disabilities don't just
visit sites about disability. If you have more questions about these
resources you can ask <wai@w3.org>.

Happy designing,

- Judy

At 11:32 AM 6/3/00 +0800, Mar, William wrote:
>Any others?

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)