Re: IO Error: handshake alert: unrecognized_name

Hi Vic

The problem isn’t with your SSL certificate. It looks like your hosting is using SNI (Server Name Indication) which is used on shared web hosting where multiple HTTPS websites live on a single web server:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

SNI works in nearly all web browsers (other than on very, very old versions of Windows – XP or earlier). It doesn’t work in the validator because SNI isn’t well supported by the Java language the validator is written in. The same problem happens with validator.nu which is also written in Java, but not try.powermapper.com which doesn’t use Java.

You can see which browsers support SNI for your site in the ‘Handshake Simulation’ section here:
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.vgwoodhouse.co.uk&hideResults=on

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Mark