Re: Accessibility of checker

From: Philip Taylor <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 17:41:19 +0100
To: Monahos Laura-jeanne <LMonahos@schools.nyc.gov>, David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
CC: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>

Laura-Jeanne --

> Hi Philip,
>
> Is there a different URL I should be using for the W3C validator?
>
> Thanks,
> Laura-Jeanne
>From DD's screen-shot, there appears to be an alternative (possibly for HTML 5 only) at :

  * https://validator.w3.org/nu/

but I do not use this as (a) it is continually being modified, and (b) it is not really a validator /per se/ as (in its own words) "The Nu Html Checker should not be used as a means to attempt to unilaterally enforce pass/fail conformance of documents to any particular specifications; it is intended solely as a checker, not as a pass/fail certification mechanism".  Since I am more concerned with formal validity than helpful hints, I prefer the standard validator at http://validator.w3.org/.

** Phil.