From: Philip Taylor [mailto:P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:00 PM
To: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>; Monahos Laura-jeanne <LMonahos@schools.nyc.gov>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Re: Accessibility of checker

David Dorward wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2017, at 20:16, Monahos Laura-jeanne wrote:
>> The font of the code is tiny and barely readable when I enter it into the Validate by Direct Input textbox.  Can you please fix this?  It's been like that for a while, which has the added problem of terrible UX at that font size.  Users should not have to make adjustments to font size on the page every time we want to check our code.
>
> This is what it looks like when I use it: http://i.imgur.com/qQMbgU3.png

> The code is displayed at 14px.
>
> Are you using the same URL as me? Are you of the opinion that 14px is tiny for a font size? Could this be a problem local to your browser / computer?
I would tend to agree with Laura-jeanne; in a maximised browser window (the direct input dialogue box does not extend to full width), I can see of the order of 132 characters per line; this would suggest to me that the font is perhaps 50% of optimal size.  Your (DD's) screenshot looks nothing like what I see, perhaps because (a) you are shewing the results window, whereas I am looking at the input, and (b) because you appear to be using the NU validator whilst I am using the production one.

Philip Taylor