Re: Witch Validation Icons fot HTML5 ?

From: Philip Taylor <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 22:22:57 +0000
To: Paul Nelson <s.i.meetings@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>

Paul Nelson wrote:

>         Thanks, Philip. I've used the service for more than 15 years --
> since first finding that it existed -- precisely to catch mistakes that
> might mess up the pages for some people ... and have used the icon not
> to show the certified correctness of my latest work, but simply to
> enable others to likewise find out that the service exists. Doing so
> (with the CSS checking service) has enabled me to keep things very
> simple indeed.

Prior to the advent of HTML 5, not only was the HTML validator a
(relatively) stable tool, but so was the reference specification itself.
 Whilst even then there was no real benefit in using a "Valid HTML"
icon, it did no harm since neither the specification nor the validator
were likely to change.

Post HTML 5, the world is a very different place; the HTML validator is
totally unlike its predecessor, both in terms of functionality and in
terms of stability, and I for one no longer see any benefit in linking
to it.  If you want to advertise its existence to your visitors, then
rather than displaying a potentially false "Valid HTML" icon, you might
instead like to create one that reads "Valid when created; click here to
see if valid today" or similar.

Philip Taylor