HTML validator - A safeguard for old browsers is flagged up as an error

From: Kelvin Warne <kelvin@kwservices.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 15:21:18 +0100
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Hello w3 org,

Thank you for your very useful validators; I use them regularly.

When I insert an anchor in a page, I follow the advice in the w3 reference material and use eg. <a id="TopofPage" name="TopofPage"></a> to cater for old (name) as well as current (id) browsers. This is flagged as an error in your validators (both the original and your Nu Html checker).

NB. A similar situation arises in the css checker when using the older IE Opacity style statement as well as the current one.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you and Kind Regards
Kelvin
kelvin@kwservices.co.uk