Re: HTML validator - A safeguard for old browsers is flagged up as an error

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 15:53:56 +0100
To: "Kelvin Warne" <kelvin@kwservices.co.uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On 8 Jun 2015, at 15:21, Kelvin Warne wrote:

> When I insert an anchor in a page, I follow the advice in the w3 reference material

Which material are you referencing?

> and use eg. <a id="TopofPage" name="TopofPage"></a> to cater for old (name) as well as current (id) browsers. This is flagged as an error in your validators (both the original and your Nu Html checker).

The nu validator flags it as a warning, not an error. This is a feature that is required by the specification. (I believe the non-nu version just wraps the same engine for HTML 5, so I'd expect the same result there).

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/obsolete.html#warnings-for-obsolete-but-conforming-features

> NB. A similar situation arises in the css checker when using the older IE Opacity style statement as well as the current one.

Do you mean `filter: opacity`? That has never been standard CSS. Happily, Microsoft have dropped support for it and implemented the standard.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.co.uk/