Re: Validation failing incorrectly on bad value for encoding name

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 05:51:55 +0900
To: Stephen Dowsland <s.dowsland@gmail.com>, Jaime Iniesta <jaimeiniesta@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>
Jaime Iniesta <jaimeiniesta@gmail.com>, 2013-03-10 00:41 +0100:

> Hi, I've just installed validator.nu and I can confirm the same error

OK, I've fixed it now. The changes I made are these:

The cause of this is that IANA recently took what had been a plain-text
document for the character-set registry, and replaced it with an XML doc:

But the validator code was still expecting the plain-text doc that had been
there previously.

The current HTML spec actually now says that UTF-8 is the only valid
encoding, so the validator is eventually going to be updated to not use the
IANA character-set registry at all. But for the time being, the changes I
just checked in get us back to what the validator behavior was before IANA
changed the format of the registry.

Sorry it took me so long to figure out what the cause of the problem was.
But if you do a "python build/build.py all", it should pull the changes I
just made, and the behavior of your local installs will be back to normal.