W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-validator@w3.org > March 2013

Re: Validation failing incorrectly on bad value for encoding name

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 05:51:55 +0900
To: Stephen Dowsland <s.dowsland@gmail.com>, Jaime Iniesta <jaimeiniesta@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20130310205155.GA684@sideshowbarker>
Jaime Iniesta <jaimeiniesta@gmail.com>, 2013-03-10 00:41 +0100:

> Hi, I've just installed validator.nu and I can confirm the same error

OK, I've fixed it now. The changes I made are these:

  https://bitbucket.org/validator/build/commits/34ca4f387107a6d4c50ef174927b85770697e1a0
  https://bitbucket.org/validator/validator/commits/3f86e48035eb95e91d43576adcee634dc21ad191
  https://bitbucket.org/validator/syntax/commits/c3b787c0705d6cb8d270596d87c837f9a4a8d71f

The cause of this is that IANA recently took what had been a plain-text
document for the character-set registry, and replaced it with an XML doc:

  http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xml

But the validator code was still expecting the plain-text doc that had been
there previously.

The current HTML spec actually now says that UTF-8 is the only valid
encoding, so the validator is eventually going to be updated to not use the
IANA character-set registry at all. But for the time being, the changes I
just checked in get us back to what the validator behavior was before IANA
changed the format of the registry.

Sorry it took me so long to figure out what the cause of the problem was.
But if you do a "python build/build.py all", it should pull the changes I
just made, and the behavior of your local installs will be back to normal.

  --Mike

-- 
Michael[tm] Smith http://people.w3.org/mike
Received on Sunday, 10 March 2013 20:52:08 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Sunday, 10 March 2013 20:52:10 GMT