Re: escaped & not validated correctly

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 09:09:19 +0200
To: Markus Schicketanz <markus@schicketanz.com>
CC: www-validator@w3.org
2013-02-28 17:33, Markus Schicketanz wrote:

>> Error Line 64, Column 31: & did not start a character reference. (&
>> probably should have been escaped as &amp;.)
>>
>> http://www.kath-zeitz.de/?mm=1&amp;me=8</div>
>>
> obviously there is no unescaped &.

There might be something in the content that does not meet the eye. The
string
http://www.kath-zeitz.de/?mm=1&amp;me=8
is correct and does not trigger an error message, but if I add e.g.
U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE between "a" and "m" in "&amp;", I get this exact
error message.

You should be able to see invisible characters when using a good editor
like BabelPad. I have no idea why they would have been lost when you
copied the code and the error message (if you did that with copy & paste).

On the other hand, if my hypothesis is correct, then the zero width
space or some other invisible character should break the entity
reference and the browser should show the text as
http://www.kath-zeitz.de/?mm=1&a​mp;me=8
Does that happen?

Yucca