Re: HTML5 lang attribute problem

2013-04-27 13:09, Mar When wrote:

> I'm getting the following error when using lang="arz" (for egyptian
> arabic):
> "Bad value arz for attribute lang on element html: The language subtag
> arz is not a valid ISO language part of a language tag."
>
> The language-Code "arz" is defined in ISO 639-3 and it's prefered to use
> it according to RFC 5646
> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5646#section-4.1.2).

So it seems. BCP 47 has become increasingly theoretical. Given that in
most contexts, language declared in HTML has no effect and typically has
an effect for a handful of world languages only when there is an effect,
the added complexity is pointless and disturbing.

But HTML5 CR cites BCP 47 generically, so this pseudo-standard for HTML
defined the lang attribute as taking whatever values BCP 47 might allow.
It’s no wonder that validators don’t catch up.

http://validator.nu seems to accept "arz", but http://validator.w3.org
and http://validator.w3.org/nu/ do not.

On the practical side, using lang="ar-EG" has better chances of having
some effect. The effect is mostly none, however.

Yucca