Re: Element style is missing required attribute scoped, but scoped is a boolean attribute

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, 2012-07-29 21:18 +0300:

> 2012-07-26 22:10, James Glasgow wrote:
>
> >Then why when I add the scoped attribute does the validator say: The
> >scoped attribute on the style element is not supported by browsers yet.
> >It would probably be better to wait for implementations
>
> Because the “validator” is, in HTML5 mode, a heuristic checker, reflecting
> the opinions of its authors at the time of writing its code, not objective
> criteria.

What authors do you mean? The authors of the tool or the authors of the
HTML5 spec?

Regardless, that statement is not true either way. Just as it's not been
true the many other times you have posted some variation of it here.

A non-misleading way to describe the validator would be to say it's a tool
that's meant to conform as closely as possible to the document-conformance
constraints in the HTML5 specification. Real objective requirements, in a
real W3C specification that's been a W3C specification for 5 years now and
that is in fact the current W3C specification for HTML.

In addition to the many checks for those objective requirements in the
spec, yes it's true that some have been checking and reporting features
have been added to the validator that are not strictly required for the
spec. But in those cases, they are emitted as warnings or informational
messages, not as errors.

Those have been added in the interest of trying to be helpful to some users
(though possibly annoying to some others). When people actually spend time
writing code and developing applications they often find they have to try
to make some judgement calls (what you call "opinions") about what's
actually going to be most useful for their users. That's the case here.
The goal is to try to help users whenever possible, as widely as possible,
even some in cases where the spec doesn't strictly require it.

  --Mike