Re: Element style is missing required attribute scoped, but scoped is a boolean attribute

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:23:10 +0100
To: "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, James Glasgow <james@jrglasgow.com>
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com> wrote:
>> Then why when I add the scoped attribute does the validator say: The scoped
>> attribute on the style element is not supported by browsers yet. It would
>> probably be better to wait for implementations
>
> Validator team—I realize this is not an error message, however is it
> useful, or necessary?

Whether it's useful is a good question. It sounds to me like this is a
message reserved for <style> in <body>, in which case it should mainly
be advising authors to move <style> to <head> rather than add @scoped.

> The message seems well-intentioned but I could see it come off a little patronizing,

That would make a welcome change from the default state of checker
messages (namely, impenetrable), but I don't think so.

> and I wonder if it’s necessary to monitor and reflect implementations?

That sounds like a useful thing for a tool helping authors produce
interoperable content to do!

(Ideally, the checker would merely reflect test-based monitoring for
the actual specs here.)

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis