Re: Microdata not validating on W3 but OK in validator.nu

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:48:51 +0100
To: Doug Snyder <dougsnyder@teleportjobs.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Doug Snyder, Sat, 14 Jan 2012 09:59:33 -0800:
> I am going through the process of adding rich snippets using
> microdata on my job posting pages at teleportjobs.com and today I
> noticed that the W3 validator is showing errors for the itemtype and
> itemprop atttributes even though the doctype is HTML5. This just
> started happening today (1/14/12.) The validator.nu page validates my
> marked up pages as valid HTML5. Does anyone know what the discrepancy
> is?
>
> You can use the following page as an example:
>
> http://www.teleportjobs.com/view_post.asp?pid=1500483

The W3C validator validates HTML5 according to the HTML5 spec under
w3.org, whereas Valdiator.nu probably validates according to the spec
under whatwg.org. In the w3-spec, then Microdata is spec of its own -
an extension to HTML5, whereas in the whatwg-spec, then Microdata is
part of the main spec.

Leif H Silli