Re: Validator.w3.org makes reference to non-W3C resources in diagnostics

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 18:32:49 +0100
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:> 2012-08-01 17:37, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 >> The error report
 > [...]
 >> contains a link to
 >>
 >>      http://www.macchiato.com/unicode/nfc-faq
 >
 > The validator links to many pages that might be classified as unofficial.

THhat is my concern (see more recent reply to Benjamin)

 >> Linking to a web site that seems (from its name) more concerned with
 >> coffee than with standards would seem a sad error of judgement to me,
 >> and does not reflect well on the Validator or its creators.
 >
 > The macchiato.com site may have its problems, and it does not seem to
 > visibly indicate its author. But by peeking at the source code, or at
 > meta tag information using a browser that gives access to it, you can
 > find out that it belongs to Mark Davis, the president of the Unicode
 > Consortium.

OK, agreed :

Registrant:
Macchiato
2509 Alpine Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
US

med@gessire.pair.com
+1.650*******

Domain Name: MACCHIATO.COM

Administrative & Technical Contact:
Mark Davis
Macchiato
814 Paulson CIR
Menlo Park, CA 94025
US

None the less, I for one would place infinitely more credence
on a page on an official Unicode site that I would on what
appears to be a personal site owned by its President.  It
is incumbent on standards bodies (such as the Unicode
Consortium) to present material that is factually correct;
it is not the case that individuals, no matter how elevated
in a given organisation, have the same responsibility w.r.t.
their personal web sites.

Philip Taylor