Re: [VE][libxml2-7] problems validating the website

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:06:59 +0300
To: www-validator@w3.org, info@amelieprins.com
16.9.2011 14:10, Amélie Prins wrote:

> Validating http://www.farandolebiterroise..fr/
> # Error /Line 291, Column 80/: CharRef: invalid decimal value

That’s rather mysterious, but the simple fix is: fix the error that on
line the character reference &#39 appears without a trailing semicolon,
i.e. fix them to &#39; (all three occurrences).

Or just replace &#39; by the apostrophe (') that it denotes. Or by the
typographically correct apostrophe (’) or a reference to it (&#8217;),
but maybe not now – as the page otherwise uses ASCII punctuation.

This should fix you immediate problem. I guess the people who maintain
the validator may have a different problem. Why does the validator
seemingly complain as if there were &#0; in the document? Why does it
point to the space character between “par le” and “Cid-UNESCO” here:

> |…usiques traditionnelles, agréée par le*  *Cid-UNESCO, et membre de la FAFN (Fédér…|

I checked with BabelPad that the character there is U+0020 SPACE. So
nothing special here, and this is just text content anyway! Fixing the
errors in character references _after_ this point later on the same line
removes the odd errors. And the WDG validator
does not issue them at all, just error messages about unterminated
character references.

Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/