Re: [VE][libxml2-7] problems validating the website

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:06:59 +0300
To: www-validator@w3.org, info@amelieprins.com
16.9.2011 14:10, Amélie Prins wrote:

> Validating http://www.farandolebiterroise..fr/
[...]
> # Error /Line 291, Column 80/: CharRef: invalid decimal value

That’s rather mysterious, but the simple fix is: fix the error that on
line the character reference &#39 appears without a trailing semicolon,
i.e. fix them to &#39; (all three occurrences).

Or just replace &#39; by the apostrophe (') that it denotes. Or by the
typographically correct apostrophe (’) or a reference to it (&#8217;),
but maybe not now – as the page otherwise uses ASCII punctuation.

This should fix you immediate problem. I guess the people who maintain
the validator may have a different problem. Why does the validator
seemingly complain as if there were &#0; in the document? Why does it
point to the space character between “par le” and “Cid-UNESCO” here:

> |…usiques traditionnelles, agréée par le*  *Cid-UNESCO, et membre de la FAFN (Fédér…|

I checked with BabelPad that the character there is U+0020 SPACE. So
nothing special here, and this is just text content anyway! Fixing the
errors in character references _after_ this point later on the same line
removes the odd errors. And the WDG validator
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
does not issue them at all, just error messages about unterminated
character references.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/