Re: HTML5 and Unicode Normalization Form C

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 23:42:24 +0900
To: www-validator@w3.org
"Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>, 2011-05-27 01:46 +0900:

> As far as whether Unicode Normalization Form C is actually required by
> HTML5: the HTML5 spec does not directly state a requirement on Unicode
> Normalization Form C, but I think that requirement is implicit in some
> direct requirement that the spec does explicitly. I can't right now point
> you to what the actual requirement is (because I don't know myself), but
> I'll find out and post a follow-up message.

So this is the follow-up message.

First thing I should say is that I was wrong: The HTML5 spec does not have
any requirement for NFC at all, not even indirectly.

Second thing: So because of the first thing, the validator should not be
emitting an error for non-NFC stuff. But I think it is useful to have it to
instead have it emit a warning, and some others I've talked with who are
more knowledgeable than me about NFC agree, so what I'm going to do is, flip
the validator code to make it emit a warning instead of an error. Then I'll
update the W3C backends for the HTML5 facet and re-deploy them, by some
time early next week (which will also pull in a bunch of new and useful
changes to the backend that Henri Sivonen recently checked in upstream).

  --Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike