Re: FPI and URI for dtd

On 7 Jun 2011, at 14:14, Przybylo, Pamela (DOT) wrote:
> In search of enlightenment.  I, and my staff, are tasked with validating HTML .  Our developers have recently been instructed that we will standardize on HTML 4.01 strict dtd.  I see they are using  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
>
> I am not familiar with this combination of Transitional FPI and strict DTD; I thought it was either one or the other.

It is. The Doctype is nonsensical.

>   How is this read; won’t the strict.dtd be ignored?

If the validator you use has Transitional DTD in its catalog, then it will use that. Otherwise it will hit the URL for the strict DTD and use that.

> Do we test it as Transitional, strict, or both?

Pick one (Strict is usually the sane choice), change the Doctype to match, then use that.

David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk