Re: FPI and URI for dtd

From: Przybylo, Pamela (DOT) <pprzybylo@dot.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 09:14:24 -0400
To: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>, "karl@w3.org" <karl@w3.org>
Hello all,
In search of enlightenment.  I, and my staff, are tasked with validating HTML .  Our developers have recently been instructed that we will standardize on HTML 4.01 strict dtd.  I see they are using  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

I am not familiar with this combination of Transitional FPI and strict DTD; I thought it was either one or the other.  How is this read; won't the strict.dtd be ignored?  Do we test it as Transitional, strict, or both?

The issue is of course that the validator, on encountering an
FPI that can be resolved internally, ignores the external DTD.

Thank you