Re: Bad value language for attribute name on element meta: Keyword language is not registered.

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 16:03:42 +0300
To: www-validator@w3.org, w.doeringer@fh-worms.de
3.6.2011 14:27, w.doeringer wrote:

 > The above error message

That is, "Bad value language for attribute name on element meta: Keyword
language is not registered." (The text of a message should not refer to
the Subject line or imply it.)

 > conflicts with the WAI-checker that REQUIRES a

You didn't specify what you mean by "WAI-checker", but generally,
various checkers are heuristic, sometimes misleading, occasionally even
plain wrong. Don't expect them to be consistent with each other.

The page triggers the experimental "HTML5" mode of the W3C Markup
Validator, and in this mode, it's really a heuristic checker rather than
a formal validator. Conflicts are surely possible.

In this case, it is apparently the unspecified WAI checker that has a
problem. I don't think any WAI recommendation requires or even suggests
the use of <meta name="language" ...>. Rather, they suggest lang and/or
xml:lang attributes, see

The HTML5 draft is, for good and bad, somewhat "open". So if you really
wish to have <meta name="language" ...> allowed in HTML5, you can
register it at http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/MetaExtensions and see what
happens. I don't think you should do that, though. Such a construct
would be pointless and ignored by relevant software, as there are
already standardized methods for specifying the human language of the

Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/