Re: Document cannot be checked because of invalid character

From: Rui del-Negro <rmn@dvd-hq.info>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 06:35:32 +0100
To: "Arthur Lee" <art@firzt.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
> http://www.firzt.com/jobrank/badcharacter.php
>
> I am using the above link, that i access with a chrome plugin.

Indeed, when the validator chokes on that character, it doesn't show the
source at all. I'm not sure if this is "fixable" given the various steps
the source goes through while it's geing ingested. Ideally it would show
the source up to the offending character (or rather, the one before it),
and ignore the rest of the file.

However, you can manually change the encoding to iso-8859-1 or
windows-1252 to force the validator to show you the source with line
numbers (other encodings might work as well, I only tried those).

Use &copy; for the copyright symbol.

RMN
~~~