Re: X-UA-Compatible http-equiv on meta should be recognized by the HTML5 Conformance Checker

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:12:28 +0000
To: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
> At this point, we should declare the HTML5 spec bogus, until someone there
> notices what "http-equiv" is (or was) supposed to mean.

"was" is the operative word here.

In the HTML5 draft, http-equiv means the "meta" element represents a
pragma directive.

> HTTP is clear on the blanket acceptability of X-anything extension headers.

However, the semantics of HTML are defined by HTML specifications, not
HTTP, and "http-equiv" is not defined to allow arbitrary HTTP headers,
let alone extension headers.

(There is a little bit of debate about this, for what it's worth, but
that's the current editor's draft.)

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis