Re: xhtml Mobile Profile 1.2 dont work

On Monday 12 July 2010, foros@emprear.com wrote:
> For months the page in http://wcs.emprear.com/accesso_wcs.php pass the
> validator as XHTML Mobile Profile 1.2 without problems.

That page gives 404 Not Found at the moment, but http://wcs.emprear.com/ can
still be used to reproduce the issue.

> Now, this is the
> result:
>
> #  Error  (http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/DTD/xhtmlmp12-form-1.mod)
> Line 18, Column 46: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding ! Bytes:
> 0x92 0x53 0x20 0x52 OR ITS AFFILIATES REGARDING ANY OF THE IPR�S
> REPRESENTED ON THE OMA # Error
> (http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/DTD/xhtmlmp12-form-1.mod) Line 69,
> Column 17: conditional section INCLUDE or IGNORE keyword expected
> <![%form.element;[
> # Error (http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/DTD/xhtmlmp12-form-1.mod)
> Line 73, Column 39: xmlParseElementDecl: 'EMPTY', 'ANY' or '(' expected
> <!ELEMENT %form.qname;  %form.content; >
> # Error (http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/DTD/xhtmlmp12-form-1.mod)
> Line 73, Column 39: Content error in the external subset <!ELEMENT
> %form.qname;  %form.content; >
>

> I know, the recomended Doctype for mobile devices is XHTML Basic. But my
> question is Why Xhtml MP 1.2 givme these errors? Is possible the
> xhtmlmp12-form-1.mod is corrupted?

The OMA website serves xhtmlmp12-form-1.mod as application/octet-stream and
without indication about the content's character set, which doesn't play well
with the underlying libxml2 parser in the validator, which defaults to UTF-8
(and AFAIK nobody has yet checked if something could be sanely done to that).

$ HEAD http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/DTD/xhtmlmp12-form-1.mod | grep
Content-Type

> Or maybe The W3C Would have to remove from the validator the xhtml mp 1.2
the Doctype

I think that (removing it from the drop-down list) would be a bit premature,
I'm going to try contacting OMA and see if something could be done to this.
And the validator does not contain a copy of the XHTML MP DTDs, it fetches
them on demand.  This is for licensing reasons, the OMA use agreement does not
allow distributing their DTDs which would pretty much happen if the DTDs would
be committed to validator's source code control repository [0].
http://www.openmobilealliance.org/use_agreement.aspx

The same use agreement also prohibits making modifications to the DTDs so even
if they could be redistributed, it couldn't be modified so that it'd work with
the validator.  (Modifying might not be necessary if the DTDs would be
installed locally though, haven't checked that closely.)

[0] It would be possible to do add them locally on validator.w3.org without
going through source control, but this would require specific
customization/maintenance for those instances of the validator.