Re: Possible bad html passing validator

On 12/8/2010 9:49 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>
>> If I create an html file with the above, the first LI's 650-456-7890
>> doesn't display:
>
> That sounds very odd, but I suspect the reason might be some invisible
> characters (control codes) that were lost when you posted the
> document. Therefore a URL would be essential.
>
>> Tried all sorts of variations to see if I could isolate it, but I
>> can't spot whatever is the problem except that adding zero-length
>> spaces near the "0's" seemed to help.
>
> Do you mean ZWSP? Can you please also post the URL of a page where you
> did that?

Jukka:

Thanks for the reply. The way I ran my test was to cut-and-paste the
example (with terminating </LI> as suggested) into a file on my desktop
with vim and display that file:///. There is no URL, its locally
created. I also tested with cut-and-paste from Firefox and IE plus at
least two original typing from scratch to make sure there were no hidden
characters.

Per Philip Taylor's email suggestion and a second near identical
suggestion from peasthope, I tried on different browsers and confirmed
that the problem is in Firefox and not in IE. So, I guess its a
potential Firefox bug and I'm looking to find best place to send that to.

As for the ZWSP, if I insert a &#x200B; in front of every 0 in the two
LI lines, I see the full text. It seems that if it just on the offending
line, it kills the phone number on the second line. Once again, no URL,
I am just cut-and-pasting the following to Desktop for file:/// display:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>arf</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<UL>
<LI>8am to 5pm 65&#x200B;0-456-789&#x200B;0</LI>
<LI>8am to 5pm 65&#x200B;0-456-789&#x200B;0</LI>
</UL>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Paul