Getting error: Attribute "BORDER" is not a valid attribute. Did you mean "border"? for frameset

From: grrw <grrw@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:35:20 -0500
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
I'm using frames.  I run the validator and keep getting this one error:
      Attribute "BORDER" is not a valid attribute. Did you mean "border"?

There is only one error and it points at this line even though I have two of these lines (should get two errors if anything):
     <frameset rows="12%,*"  border = "0">

With the above line, the code works great, but if I remove the border = "0", then the code breaks - I get borders where I don't want them:
     <frameset rows="12%,*">      -- results are undesirable

This is what I'm using for doc type
   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

I've searched all over the internet for an alternative solution, but could not find one.

I'm really thinking there is something wrong with this validator when it comes to frameset.  Can you please help me with this.

thank you

Guy