Re: Markup Validator Lacking...

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:43:35 +0000
Cc: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>
To: gb2985@gmail.com

On 12 Nov 2009, at 18:24, Lee Shallis wrote:

> Your validator just doesn't behave strictly enough, find any error
> prone page and compare your validators results to that of Firefoxs
> extension "HTML Validator" (latest firefox for greatest accuracy) and
> you'll see all of the errors that your validator misses.

Presumably you are referring to Marc Gueury's extension. This has two modes. Validator and Tidy. The validator mode uses the same engine as the W3C validator. The Tidy mode uses a lint, not a validator and raises issues which are outside the scope of validation. (Last time I tried using Tidy as a lint, I found it throwing up false positives and missing some real errors. It might have improved since then.)

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk