Errors from non-capitalized attributes accused of being capitalized

From: David Stockton <stockton@wowway.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:58:05 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
I hope this is not something silly that I have done but I wanted to check my
site that is implemented in 4.01 transitional for compatibility with
HTML 4.01
strict to know how much I have to modify my code when I change it.

So, I set the document type to force "HTML 4.01 Strict" on the pull-down,
set my URL to http://www.agoodfamilyhistory.org/login.php and click
validate.

I get two errors:
Line 9, Column 18: Attribute "LANGUAGE" is not a valid attribute. Did
you mean "language"?
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript"
src="jscode/miscUtilities.j

and:
Line 80, Column 11: Attribute "WIDTH" is not a valid attribute. Did you
mean "width"?
<hr width='98%'>

I don't have either LANGUAGE or WIDTH as the attributes.  I had it
include the source listing and it is all in lower case.

Is there something that I am doing that gets them translated to upper case?

Thanks,
David